- UNDP Eastern Europe and Central Asia Bureau
- The UNDP Eastern Europe and Central Asia Bureau had a major relaunch of their Environment and Energy website for a major ministerial meeting at Belgrade in October 2007. Maps were a big feature.
Mapufacture Inc worked closely with the UNDP to identify work flows and public advocacy needs. We provided geoparsing, content management, geographic visualization, and white-labeled services in part utilising our flagship service, mapufacture.com.
Mapufacture has long been involved in building and growing the OpenStreetMap project. We’ve help run mapping parties, build code, and promote the project by speaking at conferences. In addition, Mikel is a member of the OpenStreetMap foundation and gave a month-long set of workshops on mapping around India.
- BBC Every Square mile
We worked closely with the BBC and HeadShift to add mapping and geospatial information to the innovative Every Square Mile. The goal of the site is to document the lives of Britains through stories, images and videos, all geotagged and timestamped.
An important aspect was to provide an intuitive and unobtrusive geotagging interface for users to easily mark the locations of their stories and files. We worked closely with usability experts to provide a step-through interface for storymapping.
site: Every Square Mile
Swivel is the premier online data sharing and visualization system. They provide visually rich and compelling charts and graphs of user contributed data sets. They saw the huge amount of geographic information available as well as a user demand to cartographically visualize this information. Mapufacture worked with Swivel to develop cutting edge thematic mapping to their application.
Using dynamic map interfaces as well as embeddable maps means users can investigate data and share it into other sites and organizations. In addition, we ensured the data remained easily accessible by utilising modern community standards such as KML.
- London Organizing Committee of the Olympic Games
- The London Olympic Committee approached our team for advice on the goals for next generation geospatial applications. Using our expertise in networked systems and public facing interfaces, we provided specifications that formulated the tender for the preliminary mapping applications for the 2012 games.
- BBC Bangladesh Boat Journey
The Bangladesh River Journey is a mashup of posts from a BBC World Service trip to track the effects of climate change in Bangladesh. The trip lasts a month, with photos being posted to Flickr, messages sent to Twitter and journal entries made on the World Service site. The mashup puts all these posts on to a map, letting you navigate around and follow the trip.
The journalists are equipped with a GPS navigation device. Each time they visit a new location, they post their co-ordinates to the Twitter stream (e.g. this post). Our system then logs the coordinates and applies them to every photo, tweet and diary entry until the next location.
The Mapufacture team advised on the mapping and geospatial technologies used. This included some innovative repurposing of standard web map interfaces to make the interface more compelling.
- Urban Mapping
Urban Mapping developed a large database of neighborhood boundaries and wanted a system to demonstrate the power and usage of their commerical API (Application Programming Interface). Working with the team and sales team, we built the demonstration, documentation, and visualization of their neighborhood data products.
The interface provided easy exploration of examples, code snippets, sample queries and responses and easy to read and link web pages. Urban Mapping had great success and feedback with the API system we built for them.
- Community Foundation for SouthEast Michigan
- Mapufacture served as advisors in the building of the Greenways website for SouthEast Michigan. The Greenways initiative is a collaborative mapping site that centers around documenting and creating conversations of the walk-ways and bike paths in the seven counties surrounding Detroit. We helped by guiding the use of cutting edge technology along with intuitive user experience to make creating user-generated geospatial information easy.
- Other Clients